Measure Your Success By Your Effort

Footwork Makes You Smarter

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Being Out Coached

One of the toughest issues to deal with when you are a coach is being out-coached. Having had a very successful coaching career over the past 5 years, I know that most of the losses my team had were a result of me not preparing them for their competition. Not giving them the tools to get the job done. Not making adjustments quick enough on the floor. With each one of those losses, I went back to the drawing board and worked harder to make my teams more mentally tough. I worked harder to bring my players better skills and better fitness. Worked harder to recognize situations and patterns and adjust to those.
You have to keep your ego, in check, so that you can recognise your role in each win and loss. You have to be willing to admit it and fix it. When you loose a game, you should not be just disappointed in the loss, but that you responsible for the disappointment your team is feeling.
Work harder each day at becoming a better coach. You wouldn’t expect less of your players.

No comments: